It is a trail which connects the north to the south of the island of Brač. Its total length is 21 km with a walking time of approx. 6.5 hours. There are numerous natural and cultural attractions on the trail itself, from archaeological monuments and dry stone constructions to the lookouts and protected natural particularities.

 

Click here to view the map

 

ATTRACTIONS

- kogule: stone pebbles  used in the past to pave the important Dalmatian streets.

- the small church of St  Nicholas: this small old church (from the end of 11th century) was demolished and a new one was built on its foundations in 1908 . At the beginning of the 19th century there was a bell that rang for the school. Above the wooden altar is a triptych (oil on canvas) by domestic naive painter, Pavo Gospodnetić Bukovac which dates back to 1929.

- the parish church of  St. John the Baptist from the 16th century with remains of the early Christian basilica from the 6th century

- Mirje: the monastery complex dating back to the 6th century which stands between two important centres on the Adriatic part of the province: Diocletian's Palace in Split and the imperial quarries near Škrip from which architectural stone was extracted for the monumental palace

- dry-stone walls: made of natural stone without the use of binding material. The skill of dry stone construction is a traditional heritage of the Mediterranean area from the prehistoric times. Labourers collected the stone from the fields and laid it, creating space for future gardens, pens for domestic animals or boundary walls at the same time. Serpentines built in dry-stone that can be seen near to Dol are one of the last monuments of labourers work and effort.

- Gažul: a pastoral village with stone houses and pens for cattle located in the original environment of the Brač shepherds' dwellings on this plateau. A part called “Bežmeka stan” is under the protection of the Ministry of culture. It is part of asingle floor stone house with a courtyard, pens, an oven, a water tank (gustirna) and an enclosed crown and fenced pool. These houses were built by the Gospodnetić ''Bežmek'' family from Dol during the 19th century. At Gažul there is also a mountain lodge known as ''Gažul''.

- Veli gažul: the main Brač stronghold in World War II. Evidence of this is the preserved bunker

- Dalmatian black pine habitat: an endemic tree from the family of pine trees with a distinctive umbrella-shaped crown. It can only be found on the Biokovo, peninsula of Pelješac and on the islands of Brač, Hvar and Korčula

- Korita: a protruding reef with three natural ponds, formed in the bedrock

- Vidova gora: The highest peak of the Adriatic islands (778 m). It was named after the small church of St Vitus which dates back to the 13th and 14th century whose ruins are still visible today. Brač inhabitants have always linked Vidova gora with the ancient Slavic god, Svevid, and and many other fantastic stories were interwoven around it. When there is a clear sky many Dalmatian islands and peaks of the Apennine Mountains can be seen from it.

The statue of Our Lady, dating back to the 19th century can be found in a small chapel on a cliff where and (according to legend) it was created as follows:

The steps, beaten over the centuries by pilgrims walking along these paths, the procession on Good Friday morning still today transmits a unique story that begins in the early morning hours.